Thursday, February 3, 2011

I'll take #2 this week, Bob.

  1. Life is writing.
  2. Life interrupts writing.
  3. Writing interrupts life.
  4. Life and writing live in perfect harmony.
  5. Writing? Please, I have a life.
  6. Life? Whatev. I got writing.
Am I missing any? Surely. But I hazard to guess that anyone who has considered writing as either a profession or a hobby (or--depending--both) has had at least ONE of these thoughts cross their mind before. We all hope to live in statement #4, where our writing and our realities blend like the most perfect of yins and yangs: Our children sit quietly by when we have a chapter to finish. Our daily errands provide nothing but constant inspiration for our WIP's climax. Never do deadlines creep up on us, crit partners fail us, or our own brains fail us. Oh, the joy of such a rose-colored, tea-fueled, book-contract-infused world.

Blech.

The fact is, we try to write and we try to live and more often than not, the ideal versions of the two will come into conflict. The natural writer will grow frustrated by it and kick and buck and scream and blog. The enlightened writer will accept it, draw inspiration from it and move on...you know, I am a leaf on the wind and all that crap. (*sniff*)

I wish I had more evocative, enlightening, inspiring things to say about that but...eh, life. I don't know if we here at the Archives say it enough, but we so appreciate everyone who stops by to read or comment. You guys are amazing, I truly mean it.

Any enlightening, inspiring, writerly words for us? Maybe just me? It's really been a #2 week.

Or we could just sit quietly and watch some Axe Cop. That'll do, too.

Axe Cop: The Movie - Part 1 from Peter Muehlenberg on Vimeo.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It has been a #2 week for me as well but I hope to aproach a #4 soon. :D

L. T. Host said...

The problem with finishing a project is that then you have nothing to write. And while I have another Shiny New Idea I'm working on, it's research heavy at the outset so I'm mostly just trying to make other things happen right now. Writing will come again soon enough!

Great post, and I know the feeling.... here's hoping #4 comes around for you, and soon.

And thanks for the Wash reference, btw. Now I am crying about it all over again.

K. Marie Criddle said...

Taryn, join me in the chant: Number four! Number four! (I'll hand out pom poms later)

And L.T., research is always a beautiful thing to get lost in. It almost makes me ache to start something that needs research-diving again! Alas, I will plug through my revisions. (And think longingly of pilots.)

Number four! Number four!

Adam Heine said...

Damn you, Joss Whedon! Wasn't Book enough?