Friday, March 30, 2012

Dream a little dream for ZZZZZZZ


Aw man, this topic makes me want to take a nap.

No really! My tiny adventures? They're my dreams, people! And I don't mean my "get a book published and have an art show and adopt a kid" dreams...I mean my honest to goodness "I dreamt I was in a tea house with Sailor Moon but Sean Connery was there reciting The Wrath of Khan and I think you were there too but you had octopus legs" dreams.

Now I won't turn this into a journal for my sonambular disturbances because nothing's more boring than other people's dreams...sometimes. But I truly LOVE my dreams. I've been writing them down for a long time and because I do that, I tend to remember them for an equally long time, down to the itty details. (Why yes, I DID have a dream about Sean Connery reenacting Wrath of Kh---oh, you're not listening anyway.)

My dreams often play out like full blown movies in my head. Movie with characters, plot and settings to beat the band...every other night is an adventure in itself! At the risk of sounding like a certain famous vampire author, I have to admit that a good amount of inspiration for my stories comes from my nighttime brain parties.

I know it's not an adventure for everyone. Heck, my husband hasn't remembered a dream in 12 years (he still talks about the Saddam Hussein lunchtime one he had in college). But to me? It actually makes me WANT to relax and go to bed. This, for a chronic stressball who sleeps on her manuscripts, is a big deal.

Have you ever had a dream that found its way into a manuscript? Or a dream that stuck with you for years and years? Come adventure with ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 





I should get up and go do something and stop dreaming and NOPE ZZZZZ

3 comments:

Peggy Eddleman said...

Sometimes I wish I could live in your head. I'll take one day. Twenty-four hours. Pleeeeeease?

I can't say any of my dreams ever made it into a manuscript. But I do have one that has stuck with me FOREVER.

It was probably ten years ago. You know how, when you're a kid, you run and leap onto your bed, and that second you're in the air, you convince yourself you were actually flying? It was a little like that. Except I was in my driveway, and I remembered how I could fly when I was a kid and wondered why it had been so long since I had last tried. So I tried. And I flew! And not just onto a bed. Up high enough that if I suddenly forgot how, I'd have splatted on my driveway.

I woke up longing to fly SO MUCH. I still can't think of that dream without wanting to hang out in the air, floating above everything, if only for a minute.

Huh. I guess that one did make it into my ms.

K. Marie Criddle said...

Oh my gosh, the flying dreams! So beautiful. It makes me want to learn to be a lucid dreamer, just so I can do it on command.

And thinking about "flying" in a certain ms just makes me sigh with happiness. :D ::le sigh!::

Anonymous said...

Some dreams are so vivid you feel you've touched and tasted them, I agree, but I don't think they've inspired my writing yet. Intriguing thought.