Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Ten-Word Novel Contest

Yes, ladies and gents, the Ten-Word Novel Contest has made its appearance again! For those of you who follow me at Free the Princess, y'all have seen this contest before.

So here's the contest description once again:

Many years ago, Ernest Hemingway was challenged to write a novel in six words. The famous line? "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Since six words seems kind of short to me, I figured I'd add a few on gratis. The challenge to you then, dear readers, is to compose a novel that consists of ten words. It can be quirky, dramatic, funny, introspective, or any other adjective that I can't think of right now.

And the rules:
  • Multiple entries are allowed.
  • All entries must be received by midnight U.S. Eastern Time on Wednesday, December 29, 2010.
  • It must be ten words or less. 
  • Put your entry in the comments section of this post.
As to the prize, well you have some options.

Option #1: A review of the effectiveness of your Internet and Social Media presence by yours truly. I run a whole mess of websites, and am very good at building a recognizable brand. I'll leverage those skills for the winner who chooses this prize pack.

Option #2: Rewriting a short story of yours to include Steampunk elements; sort of an alternate history of your fiction.

Option #3: A detailed developmental edit of the first 100 pages of your manuscript. Among my various jobs is a freelance editing business, where I charge $0.02 a word for developmental edits (line-by-line grammar, characterization, plot comments, setting comments, etc included). This third option is that entire package (which can easily be nearly $1,000 for a full-on developmental edit) for absolutely zero cost.

So them's your prize options. I know option 3 sounds a bit like a sales letter, but there really wasn't any other way I could phrase it. The winner of the contest will get their pick from the three options.

Happy writing!

13 comments:

K. Marie Criddle said...

Man, I don't know if I'm eligible, but this came to me last week:

Revolution came. We couldn't find guns, so we went home.

Eh. There it is. TEN WORDS IZ HARD.

Great prizes, Matt!

C. N. Nevets said...

I keep coming in at 12. I'll get something up here yet.

Queen 'Bina said...

The winter arrived; the snow didn't. It never would again.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

This was inspired by a Word spellcheck catastrophe:

My wanton need for wontons lead to my early demise.

John Leavitt said...

Zeppelin crash cripples Queen. Megadrill undermines Parliament. Prince Al-bot reigns.

Anonymous said...

Grab-twist-pull. He screamed in pain. Released, I ran.

Bridgemama on Twitter

Ricardo Bare said...

Okay--here are a few entries. This is tough!



Life. Starring: me. Directed by Everyone Else.

She wept. The last page was missing.

General protection fault. Blue screen of death. Reinstall life.

Dinner was cold. He smelled like perfume.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Ricardo! I really like your first one! Oh, wait. I don't think I'm supposed to vote. :)

Anonymous said...

Blackhole took us.We smiled.At last,a true adventure.

John Leavitt said...

A couple more for fun:

Jack was unfaithful. Jill found out. Jill plead not guilty.

Three ghosts with one message: "Get Christmassy or else, Ebenezer!"

Anonymous said...

Roommate wanted.Non smoker,Twilight fan,type 0+ preferable.

Anonymous said...

I drowned.Crabs ate me.Iam in your gumbo.

Ricardo Bare said...

Thanks Susan!

nemone7: the gumbo thing made me laugh. It has an lolcats sort of ring.