Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What Up?


Last night, hubs and I watched the animated film "UP". First of all, what a sad movie! But also beautiful. And hilarious. I love the relationship between Carl and Ellie (it reminded me of my relationship with Hubs - aww). Russell cracks me up, OMG. This movie is such a mix of wonderful emotions and meaningful life lessons. If you haven't seen it yet, you should.

This movie made me want to be a better writer.


It's rare for a story to make you stop and think "wow". It's something that we strive to do every time we sit down and put the story in our heads down on the page. What are those elements in a story that cause it to affect you on a deeper level?

To me, it's the relationships. You can have the coolest, most interesting world but the characters are what bring that world to life. A boy and his nemesis (Harry Potter). A man and his dog (Marley & Me). A girl and a vampire (Twilight). These are the stories we remember. The stories that stick with you after you've reached "The End." (Sorry if you hate Twilight. I happen to like it, OK?)


So how do you create a memorable relationship? There's no real answer to that. There are endless possibilities as long as the relationship feels real and powerful. It should be something that the reader can somehow relate to.


What stories made a lasting impression on you? What do you think creates a memorable relationship in a story? Do you think there are other elements that make a story stick with you?


REMINDER - This is just a friendly reminder that my contest ends tonight, so get those entries in!! Click here for the details.

1 comment:

K. Marie Criddle said...

Aw, I love this! And UP is one of my favorite movies (although it had me sobbing in the first 15 minutes).

I don't know if I'm doing it right but my characters seem to fight a lot. They all want basically the same thing, but have different motives and ideas on how to get there. The two love interests especially have a tough go of getting their acts together and treating each other right. I hope that it becomes a strong lasting relationship because they've been through a lot of hard times as well as good ones. I don't know, I hope. Haven't finished the trilogy yet! :D