Thursday, December 1, 2011

What's Right That's Left to Write About Right Writing?

Is anyone else tired of writing about writing? And reading about writing. Instead of reading good writing or writing good writing to be read?

It's not that the tipic bores me. Conversations about writing are quite pleasant its just thatwhen I think, Ok, the topic is writing, what shall I write?

my mind goes . . .

....

. . .

?????????

?

>>>>>>>>>>

:P :D :P

Nowhere.

Sure. I could write about writing methods.

But we all know that everybody has their own method. Golly, each of my manuscripts has its own method. That would take forever to cover and be relevent to only a few.

> > >

. . .

?

<3

So I could write about structure . . .

but the thought of it makes me want to run and screem.

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could write about the lack of structure.

But it would be a very short post:

"AVOID ALL FORMS OF STRUCTURE INCLUDING ANTI STURCTURE"

?????

. . .

?

I could write about being a writer.

About staying motivated to write.

About the challenges of trying to get published.

About writing (or trying to write) queries.

About what should be in your novel and what shouldn't.

About why short stories are supeirior.

About why short stories are inferior.

About just letting your creativity out and not worrying about the market.

About researching your market and not letting over ambitious "artistic ideas" get in your way.

BUT ITS ALL BEEN SAID BEFORE.

Google any of those topics and you'll find a thousand blog posts addressing them.A thousand re-hashings of the same metaphors, the same "insights" the same experiences, the same conflicting conclusions. A story can be re-told no matter how many versions there are floating around in the world. Every version is going to be slightly different and just as worth reading. Because it is personal and relevant to a particular imaginary or sometimes real event. It happens to a specific person. But information is vague and overstating. It is just information in whatever new clothes you dress it up in. People can only read it so many times without going a little bit insane.

I may have gone a little bit insane.

But then again I already was a little bit insane.

I do however have some very basic information that I shall share with you now.

There is no "right" way to write.

Never has been. Never will be. Embrace your own adventure.

1 comment:

Keriann Greaney Martin said...

Oh Taryn, you so crazy :). I love this post! I think every writer/blogger struggles with this. But I think that sometimes blogs are about sharing your experiences as you experience them. Maybe your readers are through that particular phase in the writing process, or maybe they haven't encountered it yet. I think the trick is to not be too generic. Don't preach. Make it personal.

Just share a little bit of your soul.

I think THAT'S what draws people to read a blog. Or a novel. Or experience any art form. It's the personal element.

<333